14.3.05

it's been one year

on 13 march, 2004, i went to sleep in my buenos aires hotel. i knew my grandpa had been in the hospital, and i had called my family to find out that he was recovering well from his quadruple bypass surgery. i prayed with my friend valeska for half an hour, i told her some of my favourite grandpa crepinsek stories, we shared a few moments of worry, but i went to bed confident in his ability to recover.

one year ago today, i went to work for day one of our argentina audit. i checked my email messages. i thought it was queer that my mom emailed me three times before 10:00 AM Argentina time; and my eyes swelled as i came to realize why her name repeated in my inbox.

my grandfather had left this earth.

it took me a while to compose myself. my heart sank, i forgot where and why i was. i took a deep breath and a few minutes later asked my senior, "do you think our boss would let me fly home this weekend?" my trembling voice betrayed my feelings.

gratefully, my boss ended up insisting that i go home whenever i wanted so that i could be with my family as long as i needed. i decided to fly back wednesday night to arrive thursday morning, then i sucked up my gut, cleared my head, and tried to work as though i hadn't just lost one of my best friends.

anton john: born 30 july 1918 in mulberry, kansas; deceased 14 march, 2004.

what do i miss most? the simplest of things, the pure joy of stopping by on a sunday afternoon to read the newspaper, drink a domestic beer, sit out on grandpa's deck and tell stories about life. you know, even with his 85 years of life experience, he preferred to hear about my life. he would ask about the ladies, about the travels, about the city. in many ways, he did not comprehend my urban, single life, but he was thoroughly happy for me. he was a genuine fan. he was a great friend. he was my beloved grandpa.

with that in mind, i just cracked open a turbodog beer. gramps, you've never heard of the beer, i know, but this one's for you, and the memories, encouragement and love you gave me. i miss you and love you lots.... your grandson,
---Timoteo

one life that soon shall pass, only that which is done with love shall last

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Beautifully said Tim =)

27 abril, 2005 07:57  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home

Powered by Blogger