7.8.05

By Land or by Sea

Whether by land or sea, I enjoyed myself this weekend. Saturday morning I went with Ceebs, Dave and Bob for a morning sail. There is nothing like the quietude of being on The Lake, pushed forward in a boat by nothing other than an easterly wind in the Windy City. Our wind supply was enough to keep the boat moving, which is as much as one could expect on a sunny mid-summer morning.

For the first time in my sailing experience, I jumped off the boat and swam in the open water! The water was surprisingly warm, and floating a mile from shore was a fun form of recreation, including a nice view of the skyline.

Saturday afternoon I hung out in The Palacio for a little while and then went to the Bash on Wabash, just around the corner. Ceebs' sister had her art on display there, so we checked that out and consumed food from some local enterprises, and then I went with Sovanski to his gig at The Black Spot. It was a small gathering of myself, a few of his good friends, and another musician from south New Jersey. Nonetheless, both Sovanski and the Jersey musician played a great set.

After the concert, we went to Dunlay's for some tasty food and beer, and then we retired for a relatively early night. The only problem was that I had been procrastinating quite a while on certain of my work obligations, so I had to burn a little of the midnight oil to catch up for next week. Will I ever cease to procrastinate? Hopefully some day when I grow up.

In any case, Chico Blanco and I woke up early this morning for a breakfast down in Bridgeport. We cycled down Halsted to Ramova's Grill, a 70 year-old diner, where our wheatcakes, omelette and coffee came to a whopping $10 before tip. And now I'm back in The Palacio, packing and cleaning up the place before an afternoon flight to Dallas.

Powered by Blogger