20.8.05

Maxwell Street

Last night after waiting 40 minutes for my luggage to arrive, I left O'hare and eventually arrived at The Palacio around 5:00 PM. Chico Blanco and I snacked on some of his tasty bruschetta before we left for Sox Park to see the Yankees play the White Sox.

Brian joined us there, where we saw the Sox lose their sixth game in a row! Now, I'm a Cubs fan, and I didn't feel quite right cheering for the Sox, but there is no mistaking the fun in hating on the Yankees. It was disappointing, therefore, to see the Sox lose.

After the game, we went to a new bar on Halsted and Maxwell Street. Talk about gentrification, this corner of Chicago used to be the home of the Maxwell Street Market and, I'm told, a place where Chicago blues thrived; now, this corner is a place where young UIC students and local young professionals gather to enjoy new restaurants, a bar, and even an ice cream parlor! I suspect that University Village (the area around Halsted and Maxwell Street) will quickly become the home to many new bars and restaurants.

Saturday Morning
In an email yesterday Devlin indicated he might call this morning, so I've been hanging around waiting for a call from Mumbai, but none yet. I have not heard his voice since early April, so it will be fun when I eventually do reconnect with him.

The day is not even half over, but the weekend is going well so far.

Powered by Blogger