18.10.05

A Frankfurt Update

For the second time in my life, I'm in the country where a plurality of my ancestors (over the past 500 years) were likely to have been born. Frankfurt is not an exciting city, but there is something in the stillness and firmness of many of their manners that reminds me of my family. Silence is comfortable to the people here; laughing and joking are not always welcome. And something about the German language and the accent with which they speak English makes every phrase, whether jolly or solemn, sound like a stern command.

Yesterday we were too exhausted to go out in the city. But tonight I hope that we'll stay in the city centre (Romer) for a nice meal and maybe a walk. I will make the best of my moments here, in the land of so many of my forebears.

Powered by Blogger