11.11.05

Buenos Aires – the City of Good Air

The air here is anything but ‘good,’ the pollution in the air is palpable. During each taxi ride, we have seen the exhaust systems of several automobiles spewing out gray or black smoke. I’m not sure if it’s only because Buenos Aires is fresh in my mind, but I really feel that the pollution here is worse than it is in Mexico City.

Regardless of the lack of clean air, this city has a lot to offer. Devlin and I have been enjoying the local restaurants in the evenings, and, during the day, I’ve been going to work as Devlin goes to a local café to practice his Spanish. As Argentina is famous for its parrilla (grilled steaks), I’ve eaten steak 3 out of 4 evenings so far, and I haven’t been disappointed. And, the prices are tough to beat. We’ve had quality cuts and wine to complement the meals all for less than $30 for the two of us most nights. I look forward to more of the same in the next week.

Last night we saw a Gotan Project concert after dinner. The Gotan Project consists of Porteños and Parisians who play a much modernized brand of tango. Gotan’s music is frequently played at the Palacio, so it was nice to hear them live.

It has been great to catch up with Devlin during this week. After seven months, we had a lot to talk about, and, of course, Buenos Aires is a great location to seek out new adventures. Indeed, this weekend will be a great time. And, as I take deep breaths here in the city of Buenos Aires, I have certainly increased my appreciation of the role played by the Environmental Protection Agency back states-side... Let's hope the air gets better here and everywhere around the world...

Powered by Blogger