11.8.06

Arlanda...and peace

Here I sit in Arlanda International Airport, awaiting my flight to Charles DeGaulle. Thank goodness that in one small part of the world a man can fly from one country to another without unending security lines and with liquid, electronic devices and carry-on luggage! Call me a sceptic, call me naive, call me a pig-headed libertarian, but I oppose the overreaction of the United States and the United Kingdom to the recent terrorist threat. Colleagues of mine will be flying across the pond without their iPods, laptops and, well, just about anything else at their side tomorrow. I look forward to hearing their stories, but I wish they weren't subject to such knee-jerk control measures

It's been a quiet week in Sweden, my ancestral homeland. Each night the sun sets, and the forests beckon me. A few nights ago the full moon even called my name. I've enjoyed seeing a mother nursing her child in the office, a father, who happens to be the financial manager of the Swedish subsidiary, leave before 5:00 PM each day to pick up his twins because his wife is out of town on business.

The fact that I would have to pay a nominal fee for a plastic bag at the Ica grocery store wasn't necessary to convince me not to use a bag to carry my few items a few blocks; but I liked that Ica charged others for such extras. Recycling bins are abundant in the office and in my hotel. And I have to put my keycard into a slot in my hotel to turn the electricity on in the room.

Today I spoke with a Swedish contemporary and colleague who has been studying for 8+ years. College is free here, in fact she receives a stipend of approximately SEK 2,000 (USD 300) as long as she studies full time. Meanwhile, it seems that most cabbies and housekeepers I meet are Swedish nationals. That is not to say that there are no immigrants, just that it seems that Swedes can live off the wages of many honest occupations.

I like Sweden. I've often said that it's my favourite non-Hispanic country (for the record, I count the US as a Hispanic country). The blonde hair and golden tans are attractive. The soft-spoken confidence and efficiency is endearing. The regard for the environment and others is inspiring. And so, even in a quiet week in the outskirts of Sweden, a pleasant week has passed.

Now, look out Paris, for I shall roam your streets within hours!

Powered by Blogger