15.8.06

Paris for the weekend, and now back in Upplands Väsby

It was so great to travel with just a backpack last weekend. I think that the staff at Le Meridien were a little confused, but they welcomed me nonetheless. A few hours after my arrival, Ceebs arrived on schedule at 11:30 PM on Friday night and, after a quick shower, we opened a bottle of wine, quaffed a glass, and then went for a long walk to the Seine river and back. Thus began our weekend.

Paris is beautiful. The Seine, the boulevards, the Eiffel, statues throughout the city. On Saturday morning, after croissants and coffee at Le Meridien, Ceebs and I took the Metro to Sacre Cour. This beacon on a hill offers some of the best views in Paris and, as a building, it certainly pleases the eye.

After Sacre Cour, we hopped on another Metro to the Ile d' Cite, where we saw Saint Chapelle and Notre Dame. Having visited the key holy sites, we went in search of lunch. Then, after stopping for a crepe, we went for a long amble to the Louvre, down the Champs d' Elysee, around the Arc d' Triomphe, to the Bois de Boulogne, before heading to the Eiffel Tower. Did I mention that Paris is a gorgeous city!

We arrived at the Eiffel Tower in time to go up, take pictures, then come down and witness the twilight light show that happens most days just before sunset. The lights on The Tower blink alternately for an amazing spectacle. We spent a few minutes documenting the moment with video and photos.

After the Eiffel, we went back to the hotel to refresh ourselves for an 11:00 PM dinner at Montparnasse 1900. We dined right with escargot, steak and duck as entrees, then a plate of cheeses for dessert. A Burgundy Margeaux accompanied dinner, while a port came with the cheese.

And, so, a full day ended when we closed the restaurant down after 1:00 AM. Saturday was great both for the full tour of Paris and for the chance to amble in Paris with a friend who is quickly approaching a momentous change of pace in his life.

On Sunday, Ceebs left after breakfast, and I went for one last walk through the city before I hopped on the Metro. I found a lovely outdoor market between the lanes of one of Paris' boulevards. Cheese, salmon, steak, fruits, vegetables, and more were for sale. I thought about buying something, but I wouldn't really have any use for it for at least 2 weeks, and by then the stuff would have rot.

In the market I did overhear one American woman ask her husband if they should just go to the nearest Starbucks. A Frenchman interjected with what I presumed to be sarcastic agreement before I could suggest an alternative to them. And so I kept on walking.

Much of the weekend was spent walking through the rain, but that did not dampen a perfectly delightful time. The companionship of a good friend and the cheerfulness of random Parisians left me smiling as I took the Metro back to Charles de Gualle, and on to my hotel in Sweden.

Powered by Blogger